The Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon 2016 – Win flights to Rio | Competition Terms and Conditions
1. Information on how to enter forms part of the terms of entry. Entry into the competition is deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions. This is a game of skill. Every entrant will be asked during registration to answer a question in 25 words or less
2. Entry is open to all residents of Australia only. However, employees and their immediate families of Fairfax Media Publications Pty Ltd and their associated agencies and companies are not eligible to enter.
3. The competition will run throughout the launch of SMH Half Marathon on February 9, 2016 and conclude on March 8, 2016 at 11:59pm (AEST).
4. To be eligible, participants must have registered as a participant of the SMH Half Marathon between February 9, 2016 and March 8, 2016.
5. To enter the competition, participants must submit their entry at the competition link provided on completion of their successful SMH Half Marathon registration and answer in 25 words or less why they deserve to go to Rio. A Winner will be chosen and announced via social media on March 10, 2016. The winner will also be contacted via telephone.
6. The Promoter reserves the right to withhold it in the event that the Promoter deems that an entrant has behaved in a way which is not in the spirit of the competition.
7. Entrants that submit names, street addresses and email addresses that are deemed obviously fake or contain inappropriate text will be disqualified automatically.
8. The prize is not exchangeable, refundable or transferable.
9. The Promoter reserves the right to request the winner to provide proof of identity, proof of residency at the nominated prize delivery address and/or proof of entry validity in order to claim a prize. Proof of identification, residency and entry considered suitable for verification is at the discretion of the Promoter. In the event that a winner cannot provide suitable proof, the winner will forfeit the prize in whole and no substitute will be offered.
10. The Promoter reserves the right to verify the validity of entries and to disqualify any entry which, in the opinion of Promoter, includes objectionable content, profanity, potentially insulting, inflammatory or defamatory statements, disqualify any entrant who tampers with the entry process, who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these Terms & Conditions of Entry or who has, in the opinion of Promoter, engaged in conduct in entering/fundraising the Promotion which is fraudulent, misleading, deceptive or generally damaging to the goodwill or reputation of the Promotion and/or Promoter. The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify a winner if Promoter becomes aware that the winner and/or the winner’s entry is of a type described in this clause.
11. All registrations/entries must be received by 11:59, March 8, 2016 (AEST).
12. The prize is:
- 2 economy return flights from Sydney to Santiago, Lima, Rio, Sao Paulo or Buenos Aires on LAN Airlines.
13. Total value of the prize is subject to the time of booking.
14. Prize value is based upon the recommended retail prices at the time of printing (inclusive of GST). The Promoter accepts no responsibility for change in prize value between now and the ultimate prize redemption date.
15. Independent financial advice should be sought as tax implications may arise as a result of accepting the prize.
16. The winner will be notified by telephone and email within two days of the winner being chosen. The winner will be published on the SMH Half Marathon website.
17. Subject to any direction given under relevant State legislation, an unclaimed major prize draw will take place at Fairfax Media, 1 Darling Island Road, Pyrmont NSW 2009 on May 10, 2016 at 11:00 (AEST). The winner will be contacted within two days advising them of their prize.
18. The prize cannot be transferred, exchanged or redeemed for cash and the prize ticket must be taken as offered and cannot be sold, battered or exchanged for cash.
19. Frequent Flyer points are not available.
20. The prize cannot be used in conjunction with any other discounts or special offers.
21. The winner and companion are responsible for all other expenses unless expressly stated in these terms and conditions, including spending money, meals (unless specified), drinks, transfers (unless specified), laundry charges, activities (unless specified), incidentals, taxes (excluding departure and any other flight associated taxes included within the prize), energy surcharges, gratuities, services charges, passports, visas, travel insurance and all other ancillary costs. Travel insurance is highly recommended to protect against the additional costs incurred in the event of unforeseen circumstances.
22. The winner and travelling companion must travel at the same time, must depart from Sydney airport and are responsible for travel from their residence to Sydney airport for flight departure.
23. Flight Terms & Conditions:
|Trip||Black out dates|
|Regional - Santiago to Rio||January 1st - 31st
February 1st - 28th
March 1st - 5th, 22nd - 31st
April 1st - 6th
July 1st - 31st
August 1st - 28th
September 10th - 25th
December 1st - 31st
January 2017 1st - 31st
|Long Haul - Sydney to Santiago||January 1st - 31st
February 1st - 29th
March 1st - 5th, 19th - 28th
June 21st - 30th**
July 1st - 15th**, 16th - 31st
August 1st - 25th
September 9th - 25th
December 1st - 14th***, 15th - 31st
January 2017 1st - 31st
** These Black Outs do not apply for AU routes
*** These Black outs only apply for AU routes
- Valid for travelling between April 1/2016 & November 30/2016.
- Blackout periods may apply.
- These prize tickets must be taken as offered and cannot be sold, bartered or exchanged for cash.
- Once the tickets are issued changes are not permitted.
- Tickets are non-transferable.
- All taxes and surcharges are the responsibility of the winner.
- In the event of a no-show, tickets may not be changed or reissued.
- Bookings to be held and confirmed by LAN Airlines.
- Flights must be requested at most 90 days prior to departure and at least 45 days of departure.
- Tickets are subject to availability.
24. It is the traveller’s personal responsibility to ensure that they have valid documentation, including but not limited to valid passports and visas, which meet the requirements of immigration and other government authorities at every destination. Any fines, penalties, payments or expenditures incurred as a result of such documents not meeting the requirements of those authorities will be the sole responsibility of the travellers.
25. If the prize is unavailable, for whatever reason, the Promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize for a prize of equal or greater value, subject to State Regulation.
26. Fairfax Media Publications Pty Limited make no representation as to the safety, conditions or other issues that may exist at any destination. International travel advice can be obtained from various sources, including government, local consular offices and the web site of the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
27. The winner releases the promoter and other organisers, their related bodies corporate, affiliates, officers, agents and employees, from all liabilities, loss and damage of any kind arising at any time out of or in connection with the acceptance of, and participation in, the prize. Without limiting the foregoing, the released parties not be liable for any injury, sickness or death, property loss or damage or other direct or indirect loss or damage of any kind, howsoever sustained or incurred, in connection with or arising out of the major prize or any other aspect of the prize.
28. The Promoter reserves the right to refuse to allow a winner to take part in any or all aspects of the prize, if the Promoter determines, in their absolute discretion, that a winner is not in the mental or physical condition necessary to be able to safely participate in the prize. It is a condition of accepting the prize that the winner may be required to sign a legal release in a form determined by the Promoter in its absolute discretion.
29. Once prizes have left the Promoter’s premises, the Promoter takes no responsibility for prizes damaged, delayed or lost in transit.
30. By accepting the prize, the winner agrees to participate in and co-operate as required with all reasonable media editorial requests relating to the prize, including but not limited to, being interviewed and photographed, filmed and/or chaperoned throughout the duration of the prize.
31. In consideration for the Promoter awarding the prize to the winner, the winner hereby assigns to the Promoter all right, title and interest in and to all copyright in any material created pursuant to the winner’s participation in any aspect of the prize (Works). The winner acknowledges that the Promoter is free to use the Works and to exercise its rights in relation thereto and the winner will not be entitled to any fee for such use.
32. In consideration for the Promoter awarding the prize to the winner, the winner hereby permits the winner’s image and/or voice, as recorded, photographed or filmed during the winner’s participation in the prize to appear in connection with Fairfax Media Publications Pty Ltd or the advertising or marketing thereof, in any media whatsoever throughout the world and the winner will not be entitled to any fee for such use.
33. Should an entrant’s contact details change during the promotional period, it is the entrant's responsibility to notify the Promoter. A request to access or modify any information provided in an entry should be directed to the Promoter.
34. It is a condition of accepting the prize that the winner must comply with all the conditions of use of the prize and the prize supplier’s requirements.
35. In the case of the intervention of any outside act, agent or event which prevents or significantly hinders the Promoter’s ability to proceed with the competition on the dates and in the manner described in these terms and conditions, including but not limited to vandalism, power failures, tempests, natural disasters, acts of God, civil unrest, strike, war, act of terrorism, the Promoter may in its absolute discretion cancel the competition and recommence it from the start on the same conditions, subject to any written directions given under State Regulation.
36. The Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who the Promoter has reason to believe has breached any of these conditions, or engaged in any unlawful or other improper misconduct calculated to jeopardise the fair and proper conduct of the promotion. The Promoter’s legal rights to recover damages or other compensation from such an offender are reserved.
37. Fairfax Media Publications Pty Ltd, and their associated agencies and companies assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to, or alteration of entries, and reserves the right to take any action that may be available.
38. If for any reason this competition is not capable of running as planned, including due to tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud or any causes beyond the control of the Promoter, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or integrity or proper conduct of this promotion, the Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, take any action that may be available, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition, subject to any written direction given under State Regulation.
39. By entering the promotion, unless otherwise advised, each entrant also agrees that the Promoter, and any other associated agency and companies in conjunction with this promotion may use this information, in any media for future promotional, marketing and publicity purposes without any further reference, payment or other compensation to the entrant, including sending the entrant electronic messages.
40. Fairfax Media Publications Pty Ltd, is collecting the entrant's personal information for the purpose of conducting and promoting this competition (including but not limited to determining and notifying winner). If you are not willing for this to occur you cannot participate in the Promotion.
41. Entrants’ personal information may be disclosed to State and Territory lottery departments and winner’ names published as required under the relevant lottery legislation. A request to access, update or correct any information should be directed to the Promoter.
42. The Promoter is Fairfax Media Publications Pty Ltd (ABN: 33 003 357 720) of 1 Darling Island Road, Pyrmont NSW 2009.