The 2018 Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon presented by Qantas Assure Event Terms and Conditions
1. The participant (Participant) in The 2018 Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon presented by Qantas Assure (the Event) acknowledges and agrees that these terms and conditions are subject to change from time to time at the discretion of Fairfax Media Publications Pty Ltd ABN 33003357720 (Fairfax) and without notice to the Participant.
2. I declare, as a condition of entry into the Event, that I have undertaken sufficient training for the Event and that I am not aware of any illness, injury, physical disability or impairment which may cause me injury or death during or as a consequence of participation in the Event.
3. Only entries submitted on the official entry form online will be accepted. The information on how to enter and the details about the Event forms part of these Event terms and conditions. The number of entrants will be strictly limited and will be decided on the basis of first received or until registrations close.
4. Promotional codes may only be used where the Participant meets the conditions applying to the promotional code and uses the promotional code during its validity period. Promotional codes are not able to be redeemed or exchanged for cash and must only be used by the Participant(s) to whom the relevant code was issued to by the code owner. Promotional codes may not be used in conjunction with any other offer.
5. Fairfax reserves the right to modify, suspend and/or cancel any promotional code at any time without notice to Participants. No refunds will be made to Participants who have access to a promotional code but did not use the code at the time of purchase.
6. I understand that if I am entering as a Participant in the Elite Wheelchair Start Group, I must meet the pre-qualifying requirements for the Elite Wheelchair Start Group (which includes providing evidence to Fairfax of a recent previous race time). I must also enter through the official online registration system prior to 5:00pm (AEST) on Wednesday, May 2, 2018 to ensure Event organisers will have sufficient time for planning and safety requirements. I understand that I must compete in a racing chair only and it is my responsibility to ensure that my racing chair is properly maintained and capable of completing the Event.
7. I accept full responsibility for informing myself and assessing all the dangers, hazards and risks of entry in the Event and will rely solely on my own assessment of these dangers, hazards and risks before participating in the Event and notwithstanding any decision thereon made by the Event race committee and/or other persons corporations and bodies involved in promoting or staging the Event. The decision to participate in the Event is entirely my own and I accept all risks associated with participation in the Event, including but not limited to loss of life and/or any injury (including any permanent injury).
8. I acknowledge that my participation in the event is at my own risk. I am solely responsible for taking appropriate measures to prevent injury or avoiding any other risks associated with my participation. I accept that should I require medical assistance at the event due to my participation, such as transportation to a hospital, I will be responsible for these costs.
9. I agree to abide by all Event terms and conditions. I understand that I must follow the approved course, observe normal traffic rules and obey all directions and instructions given by Event officials and the police.
10. I agree and accept that Fairfax may, in its absolute discretion, at any time and from time to time vary the rules and regulations of the Event and without prior notice to me.
11. I consent to receive such emergency medical aid or preventative treatment which may be deemed advisable in the unfettered discretion of Event Medical Officials in the event of any injury accident or illness to me during my participation in the Event.
12. I acknowledge that I must wear the official chest bib corresponding to the registration made in my name on my chest such that the allotted race number and sponsor names on face of bib can be seen for the duration of the Event. A timing tag is attached to the back of the race bib to enable each Participant’s run to be timed. Participants must not tamper with the timing tag attached to their race bib. Timing services are provided by third party contracted timing service providers, and Fairfax takes no responsibility for errors or omissions in the timing data. By participating in the Event and wearing the race bib, each Participant consents to Fairfax and the timing service provider collecting and publishing his or her timing data for the Event. The Participant understands that starting the race before his or her assigned wave start time may result in disqualification.
13. I acknowledge that I will write an emergency contact name and phone number in the space provided on my supplied race bib and agree that Fairfax may contact that person and exchange my personal information with them in case of an emergency.
14. The pre-sale offer is applicable to 2017 participants only, and expires at 10:00am (AEDT) Thursday February 8, 2018. This sale offer is not valid with any other offer or discount.
15. Limited race bib postage is available for Participants to purchase during the registration process until 11:59pm (AEDT) March 8, 2018 Fairfax takes no responsibility for participants who are unable to select postage after the capacity is reached. Fairfax takes no responsibility for race packs that may be lost in the post, or delivered to an incorrect address. Participants are responsible for ensuring correct postal address details are included in the correct postage option fields. Postage fees are non-refundable. If an international address is used, the race bib must be collected from the Event Expo.
16. Any merchandise, excluding the official event iTaB, purchased by the merchandise postage cut off will be sent to the valid Australia address provided upon registering. If an international address is used or orders are placed after the postage period, the merchandise must be collected from the Event Expo.
17. No roller skates, roller blades, hand cycles, geared vehicles, skateboards, bicycles, scooters, dogs or other accessories that may cause injury will be permitted at the Event.
18. Spectators may not follow competitors on foot, in vehicles or with any other mode of transportation.
19. The use of any type of drone is prohibited at all Fairfax events.
20. Fairfax reserves the right to change or modify any part of the Event including the date, course and/or location at any time and from time to time without personal notice to the Participant. Details of any such changes will be published on the Event website, the Event Facebook page, Event e-newsletter and/or other media.
21. I acknowledge that Fairfax and/or its representative may remove me from the Event area and/or exclude me from participation in the Event if in Fairfax’s opinion it is necessary to do so: (a) due to my behaviour being inappropriate, offensive, or abusive (in Fairfax’s opinion); (b) to prevent damage to any property; (c) on medical, health and/or safety grounds (including to prevent possible harm or injury to myself and/or any other person); and/or (d) to prevent or arrest any form of unauthorised marketing, including ambush marketing.
22. I agree that registration in the Event is personal to me and that no other person is permitted to participate in the Event in my place.
23. I understand that should my contact details change after my registration has been completed, it will be my responsibility to notify Fairfax. If I fail to promptly notify Fairfax and my Event race pack is sent to the address I have registered, I will be responsible for paying Fairfax’s costs of replacing the race pack.
24. A credit card surcharge reflecting Fairfax’s actual costs of offering payment by credit card will be added to Visa, Mastercard, Diners and American Express payments.
25. If a person-to-person transfer option is made available (at Fairfax’s discretion), I consent to paying the administration fee at the time of transfer. If an iTaB medal insert or SMS Result has been purchased, I understand that this is non-transferable and I will forfeit the cost of purchase of these items.
26. If a transfer option between distances is made available (at Fairfax’s discretion), I consent to paying the administration fee at the time of transfer. If transferring from a shorter distance to a longer distance, I acknowledge that I will be required to pay the difference in entry fee and an administration fee. Should I wish to transfer from a longer distance to a shorter distance, I acknowledge that I will forfeit the change in price.
27. Fairfax reserves the right, in its discretion, to reject or cancel my entry at any time, including without limitation for safety or insurance reasons, or if, in the opinion of Fairfax, I am unable to complete the Event within the cut-off times. Fairfax will not be obliged to refund any portion of the entry fee in such circumstances.
28. I acknowledge that refunds will only be given for the race entry fee paid where a request for refund is lodged with Fairfax before 5:00pm (AEDT) on Thursday, April 19, 2018 and where participation in the Event is not appropriate due to a medical reason that is supported by a current medical certificate outlining the condition. I understand that a 50% administration fee will be deducted from the race entry fee paid and if a race bib has been sent out, I must return the race bib to Fairfax at my own expense, prior to the processing of any refund and by no later than 5:00pm (AEST) on Thursday, April 19, 2018. Refunds will not be made for any additional items purchased, such as event merchandise and charitable donations.
29. Fairfax reserves the right to cancel the Event at any time if Fairfax considers in its sole discretion this is required due to any sort of dangerous conditions and/or force majeure. In the event of cancellation, there will be no refund of entry fee unless otherwise determined by Fairfax in its sole discretion and the cancelled Event may not be re-scheduled. A decision will be made ASAP on race day and broadcast on commercial radio and via the Event website.
30. I consent to the publication and/or use in any form of media whatsoever of my name, race result, image, voice, statement or otherwise, (including the publication of my name and/or Event result, suburb and applicable age bracket in any Fairfax publication and/or on the Event website) without payment or compensation. If I have accepted a Charity Super Star entry, I consent to the publication and/or use of my race images by my chosen charity.
31. I consent to Fairfax using my personal details in my registration form for the administration of the Event and by any third parties selected by me during the registration process, including to SMS information about the Event to me if I have provided a mobile phone number, unless otherwise indicated by me during the online registration process. I also consent to my personal details being used by Fairfax and its related bodies corporate for future marketing and promotional purposes.
32. I acknowledge I will only be eligible for any prize that may be offered in connection with placing at the Event if I complete the approved course by the indicated cut-off times and in accordance with these conditions and the Event terms and conditions and any other applicable Event rules and regulations.
33. Each competitor must assemble behind the designated starting line, await official start and then proceed on the approved course. I acknowledge that entry into the Event course after the indicated cut-off time and prior to the official start will result in disqualification.
34. The race referee’s decision is final – no correspondence will be entered into.
35. I declare that all the information supplied by me in this registration is true and correct.
36. I certify that I am 18 years or older, or that I am the parent/legal guardian of the Participant who is under the age of 18 years, and I have read this document and fully understand it. As a parent or legal guardian, I agree to these terms and conditions for and on behalf of the Participant.
37. Please refer to the Fairfax Events Guideline for Transgender/Transsexual Participants for specific terms and conditions applying to transgender/transsexual participants in the event. These terms and conditions are incorporated by reference and can be found here.
Release and Waiver
38. In consideration of acceptance of my entry in the Event, I agree on my own behalf and on behalf of my heirs, executors and administrators and declare that: to the extent permitted by law, I hereby waive release and discharge each of the Fairfax Parties (as defined in paragraph 39 below) from and against all and every claim, right or cause of action (including for negligence, for breach of contract or breach of statute) which I might have or which may arise out of my death or injury and/or damage or loss of any description which I may suffer or sustain as the result of or in connection with my participation in the Event. This release continues and forever and binds my heirs, executors, personal representatives and assigns and may be pleaded as a bar to any action, claim, demand, suit or legal proceedings.
39. This waiver release and discharge operates jointly and severally in favour of Fairfax and its related bodies corporate, and their respective directors, officers, agents, contractors, employees and volunteers including medical and paramedical personnel appointed for the Event, event stakeholders, the owners, licensees and occupiers of the land upon which the Event or any part of it is conducted, any statutory body or local authority having control over any land upon which the Event or any part of it is conducted, Event sponsors, supporters, persons, corporations, contractors, sub-contractors, volunteers, servants and employees involved or otherwise engaged in promoting, staging, administering, running or controlling the Event (Fairfax Parties).
40. This waiver release and discharge operates jointly and severally in favour of Fairfax and its related bodies corporate, and their respective directors, officers, agents, contractors, employees and volunteers including medical and paramedical personnel appointed for the Event, event stakeholders, the owners, licensees and occupiers of the land upon which the Event or any part of it is conducted, any statutory body or local authority having control over any land upon which the Event or any part of it is conducted, Event sponsors, supporters, persons, corporations, contractors, sub-contractors, volunteers, servants and employees involved or otherwise engaged in promoting, staging, administering, running or controlling the Event (Fairfax Parties).
41. Where a Participant is under the age of 18 years, in consideration of Fairfax agreeing at my request to accept the entry of this Participant in the Event, I hereby agree for myself, the Participant, their heirs, executors and administrators to hereby waive release and discharge (to the extent permitted by law) all and every claim, right or cause of action (including for negligence, for breach of contract or breach of statute) for which I might have or which the minor Participant may have or which arises out of the death, injury, damage or loss of any description which I or the Participant may suffer or sustain as a result of his/her participation in the Event. This release continues forever and binds the Participant’s heirs, executors, personal representatives and assigns and may be pleaded as a bar to any action, claim, demand, suit or legal proceedings.
42. I acknowledge that if I select to become a member of a team, the team manager will have access to download my personal details, including my name, contact telephone number, email address and home address. As a team manager, I understand that my email address will be disclosed to my team members (but not to members of other teams).
43. The above release shall operate jointly and severally in favour of Fairfax and its related bodies corporate (Indemnified Parties), and their respective directors, officers, agents, contractors, employees and volunteers including medical and paramedical personnel appointed for the Event, event stakeholders, the owners, licensees and occupiers of land upon which the Event or any part of it is conducted, any statutory body or local authority having control over any land upon which the Event or any part of it is conducted, Training Aid Australia, Event sponsors, supporters, persons, corporations, contractors, sub-contractors, volunteers, servants and employees involved or otherwise engaged in promoting, staging, administering, running or controlling the Event.
44. I agree to indemnify and keep indemnified the Indemnified Parties against all actions, suits, demands, claims, proceedings, costs, expenses, liabilities and judgements whatsoever (including without limitation for negligence, breach of contract and/or breach of statute) arising out of, in connection with, or in relation to my participation in the Event. This indemnity may be pleaded as a bar to any action, claim, demand, suit or legal proceedings. The releases and indemnities in this document continue forever and bind my heirs, executors, personal representatives and assigns.
Privacy Collection Statement: